This Butter Cauliflower Recipe is a vegetarian riff on the classic Indian dish, Butter Chicken. In this version, tender cauliflower florets are simmered in a spiced cream sauce and served over rice with yogurt. A cosy weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric divided
- 3 tsp. garam masala divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- 1 medium head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger (sub ground ginger)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (sub full-fat canned coconut milk)
- Basmati rice for serving
- Fresh cilantro and whole-milk Greek yogurt for garnish
I love serving this dish over basmati rice with a side of naan. However if you’re looking to add some protein, I recommend serving it over quinoa or tossing in some chickpeas.
- Combine lemon juice, corn starch, cumin, and 1/2 tsp each of turmeric, garam masala, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook cauliflower, tossing occasionally, until browned in places and beginning to soften, 7 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and transfer cauliflower to bowl with corn starch mixture and toss to coat. Return seasoned cauliflower to skillet and cook another 7 to 8 minutes, until charred in spots and crisp-tender. Transfer cauliflower to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil and butter to skillet. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, and tomato paste; cook 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add remaining 1/2 tsp turmeric, 2 1/2 tsp garam masala, and 1 tsp salt, along with paprika, cinnamon, and cayenne; cook 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and broth; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, stir in cream, and return cauliflower to skillet. Simmer mixture uncovered until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice with a dollop of yogurt.
Enjoy with: The Courtesan, Riesling: £11.85 per bottle.